Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Objectives
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Objectives for the Academic Year 2023-24
Our college has always been a diverse and inclusive community – it’s one of our greatest strengths.
We’re committed to the Co-operative values of Trust:
We work by our Ways of Being which guide us in how we educate our young people and work together to help them prepare to succeed in next steps. Our inclusive culture takes work and we continue to review our ways of working to retain our family.
- Succeed Together
- Do what matters most
- Show you care
- Be yourself always
We will challenge stereotypes and promote equality of opportunity across the Connell community.
We will ensure that Connell provides an inclusive, welcoming and vibrant culture so that all students and staff feel valued, respected and engaged
We will promote EDI through our CORE and academic curricula so that students have an opportunity to discuss and discuss their views in a supportive environment.
During 2022/23 we:
- Held our biggest ever Culture Day through a range of interactive events and activities - all designed and led by our students. This day embraced the diversity of staff and students across the college and gave all the opportunity to recognise and celebrate their heritage.
- Increased the number of our staff working towards incorporating and leading EDI across the college both within the curriculum and during social times.
- Worked with our newly appointed EDI link governor who quality assures and critically reviews our progress in this area to discuss our plan for the coming year.
- Started our applications towards the Equaliteach, Rights and Respecting Schools and Anti-racism award.
- Worked with subject areas to record EDI activities and engagement within their curricula. We continue to do this going forward.
- Surveyed our staff and students on how we can improve the EDI model across the College.
- Surveyed our parent body on how we could improve the EDI model as a College.
- Appointed a member of the College Leadership Team to lead on EDI and to work with nominated representatives from the student council and our link governor.
- Ensured staff were aware of flexible working arrangements when necessary.
- Increased the space available for prayer and private reflection during religious periods from student voice.
In 2023-24 we will:
- Begin our application for the Rainbow Flag Award with staff trained by Rainbow Flag professionals.
- Submit our application for the Bronze Equaliteach award and continue to work towards the silver award.
- Extend the CORE curriculum which we offer to all students, enhancing it through assemblies and workshops focusing on key themes or emerging issues.
- Invite external speakers who represent diversity in our community to talk and work with our students and parents.
- Continue to help students gain equal access to all opportunities by using data to understand and then support their decision making.
- Encourage employer partners and education providers to work with us to increase student opportunities to meet or learn about professionals with disabilities or from other underrepresented groups.
- Through Parent Voice, ensure parent views are heard when responding to emerging needs.
- Work towards increasing the diversity of our workforce.
- Listen to student voice regarding their enrichment choices and develop accordingly.
- Expand our EDI calendar when building awareness of challenges faced by under-represented groups. All curriculum areas are able to make reference to this in their teaching. Students are prompted to engage with these issues through our EDI activities we hold across College. Examples include Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History month, Black History month and Autism Awareness month.
- Continue to ensure parents are able to translate college communications, providing effective translation services when necessary.
- Continue to use participation data to examine how protected characteristics within our population might be affecting student outcomes. We are aiming for equal student participation in enrichment opportunities, work experience and next steps.