SEND, Safeguarding and Looked After Children Information

NSPCC helpline: 0808 800 5000 + website:

The intention of Manchester City Council’s local offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. The expectation is to identify and support students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) to make the best possible progress.

Colleges are supported to be as inclusive as possible and wherever possible, the needs of students with SEND are met in a mainstream setting, where families want this to happen.

We have a designated safeguarding team who are committed to ensuring the well-being of all our students. All our staff are trained in Safeguarding and are updated with the KCSIE guidelines yearly. Any member of staff can make a safeguarding referral which will be dealt with by one of our highly trained team sensitively and efficiently.

What kinds of special educational needs does Connell provide for?

We provide strategies and support so that students can access the curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities to the fullest extent possible, and to achieve the best possible outcomes.

Teaching staff have experience of providing for a range of SEND including:

  • Cognition and learning needs such as dyslexia.
  • Communication and interaction needs such as high-functioning autism.
  • Sensory and/or physical needs including visual or hearing impairment and a variety of medical conditions.
  • Social and emotional wellbeing, and mental health (SEWMH) needs.

Parents/carers are encouraged to contact the College to discuss individual student needs.

How does the College know if children/young people need extra help? What should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Access arrangements can be put in place for students who may need additional time/support during their examinations.

Some students may already have a Statement of SEND/ Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or have been identified as needing SEND support by their previous educational setting, usually a secondary school, in which case the information will be sent to us on transfer. Where this is not the case, the College has effective screening procedures in place to identify and support students with SEND, including:

  • SEND enrolment form for students and parents/ carers;
  • Screening for literacy difficulties;
  • Screening for language impairment;
  • Identification of students with English as an additional language (EAL).

The progress of all students is monitored by teaching staff using a variety of data. If their progress is causing concern then the SEND Coordinator (SENDCo) or tutor will contact parents/ carers to discuss next steps.

When a student has significant gaps in terms of their actual progress or access to learning and when these difficulties can be ascribed to an identifiable learning need, the student will be placed on the SEND register so that they are able to make greater progress with SEND support. Where relevant, students will have an Access to Learning Plan (ALP) and/ or Individual Learning Plan (ILP) which identifies the needs of the student and the strategies and interventions to be used to support their progress. This will be regularly reviewed with the student and with parents/ carers.

The student will be removed from the SEND register when/if they no longer need the additional support.

Any teacher, parent/ carer or student concerns regarding SEND can be directed to Rhian Brady (SENDCo). The SENDCo will make a holistic assessment of the student’s difficulties using relevant information and organize interventions/ support both within the College (e.g., Form Tutor; Director of Year; Safeguarding Officer; Autism champion) and/ or signpost to other multi-agency support

Supportive strategies and additional interventions can then be put in place and recorded on students’ ALPs/ ILPs according to individual need in order to support Quality First Teaching; these documents will be regularly reviewed.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing?

College communicates regularly with parents/ carers about the progress of each student. This is done via a Performance Indicator report, a full report and parents’ evening appointments with subject staff as a matter of whole College policy. Interventions that parents/ carers can help with at home can be discussed at parents’ evening. In addition, parents/ carers with a student on SEND support will be invited to discuss progress and to assess the effectiveness of interventions at regular review meetings and/ or by telephone contact.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

Students will, first and foremost, be supported in class by Quality First Teaching. All lessons are differentiated for a range of need, including SEND. As well as using their own professional knowledge, teachers are supported by the SENDCO and outside specialist support services to find suitable strategies for students with SEND. Needs and additional interventions are communicated to staff by means of ALPs/ ILPs, bespoke training sessions, staff briefings, TaSS Team drop-ins and multi-agency support (e.g., BFET TaSS Team; Melland High School outreach).

How will College staff support my child/young person?

There are a wide range of available interventions: Quality First Teaching alongside ALP/ ILP; immersive teaching strategies and first language support for students with EAL; pastoral literacy curriculum; targeted intervention groups for students with literacy difficulties and/ or language impairment; therapeutic support for students with SWEMH needs; Access Arrangements for public examinations/ assessments (e.g., the application of rest breaks; extra time; readers; scribe).

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The SEND register comprises of two categories. The highest category of need is those students who have an EHCP. These students require additional resources for which funding is made available. Decisions about the support required by the individual student will be taken at review meetings to which the SENDCO, parents/ carers, student, outside agencies (including Health and Social Care) and other named individuals will be invited.

Some students will have additional needs that require extra support but this support will be at a level below that of an EHCP. These students will be identified as receiving ‘SEND Support’ and they form the second category of students whom we place on the SEND register. Students in this category may have an ALP which summarises their needs to teachers as well as identifying strategies that can usefully be adopted in the classroom; all students have an ILP which highlights important strategies for Quality First Teaching. Strategies within ALPs/ ILPs will be regularly reviewed.

Students’ needs on the SEND register, whether at the level of EHCP or SEND Support, will be categorized according to the four following areas of need:

  • cognition and learning;
  • communication and interaction;
  • sensory and/ or physical;
  • SEWMH.

See SEND Code of Practice (2014).

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including physical activities and College trips?

The College endeavours to be as inclusive as possible. All off-site activities are risk assessed to protect the health and safety of participants.

There are times when an additional risk assessment may be required for an individual student with SEND in order for them to participate in physical activities or a College day trip/ residential visit. In such circumstances the College, parent/ carer and the student would be involved in this process and College would liaise with the appropriate specialist support services. A range of planned enrichment activities cater for our students’ diverse needs (e.g., chess club; film club; debating society; gym trips; football and rugby clubs; a vibrant college newspaper).

What support will there be for my child/young person’s overall wellbeing?

Connell considers student wellbeing to be of the utmost importance and there is a strong pastoral team to support and guide students throughout the College. Every student in Years 12-13 has a Form Tutor and a Director of Year (i.e., the pastoral team). In addition, the pastoral team is supported by the SENDCo. The College also has access to the TaSS Team and Melland High School outreach, and employs a 42nd Street counsellor. Students can self-refer, in confidence, to the TaSS Team and 42 nd Street counsellor should they need help and advice about anxiety, examination stress and/ or depression. A safe, supportive and student-centered space (The Hive) is available throughout the day for all students, particularly those who are vulnerable. The Hive is manned by the SENDCo, college staff and student ambassadors.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the College?

Both the SENDCo and the Pastoral Team work with a range of services to ensure the needs of all students, including those with SEDN, are met. These include:

  • Manchester Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), specifically Emerge for 16-to 18-year-olds;
  • 42nd Street counselling;
  • College safeguarding officers;
  • College examinations officer (examination Access Arrangements);
  • College pastoral mentors;
  • Autism champion.

What training have the staff supporting children/young people with SEND had?

  • SEND expertise amongst staff include:
  • SENDCo National Award for SEND Coordination;
  • Autism champion;
  • Understanding of Autism following whole-College CPD;
  • Understanding of identifying access arrangement needs.
  • Understanding of literacy development and how to support students with Access
  • Arrangements following whole-College CPD;
  • Understanding of typical language development following whole-College CPD;
  • Targeted CPD such as Lego Therapy, Comic strip conversations and Vocabulary Enrichment Intervention.
  • SEND refresher sessions for new staff emphasizing the new Code of Practice and QFT following whole college CPD.

How accessible is the College environment?

Lifts are provided to ensure upper floor classrooms can be accessed by all students, including those with a physical disability or mobility difficulties. There are disabled toilet facilities.

EVAC Chairs are provided for emergency situations where pupils need to get downstairs without use of their wheelchair/crutches. Other reasonable adjustments such as the provision of specialist equipment or preferred seating within the classroom are organised on an individual basis according to need.

How are parents/carers and young people themselves involved in the College?

There is close liaison between the College and all parents/ carers. Parents/ carers of students with SEND are invited to attend review meetings and to attend meetings with multi-agency support services, as well as having regular communication with the SENDCo and the other teaching members of staff. The students receiving SEND Support or with an EHCP will be invited to meet with the SENDCo and to make their needs and learning preferences known to teaching staff via their ALP/ ILP. Students will be encouraged to attend all meetings.

Please provide more than one emergency contact for your child and update college if there are any changes.

Statutory guidance from the Department for Education states: ‘Where reasonably possible, schools and colleges hold more than one emergency contact number for each pupil or student. This goes beyond the legal minimum. It is good practice to give the school or college additional options to make contact with a responsible adult when a child missing education is also identified as a welfare and/or safeguarding concern.’ (Keeping children safe in education, Part 2, Para 88) 

How do you involve other agencies in meeting the needs of children/young people with SEND and in supporting families?

We work closely with a range of agencies and will involve the appropriate services as and when it is required. Agencies may be invited to observe, meet and assess/report/give advice on the individual student so that appropriate strategies and interventions may be put in place to support students and their families. Representatives from specialist support services will also be invited to attend review meetings for students with SEND and to deliver training sessions to teaching staff.

How will the College prepare and support my child/young person to join the College, transfer to a new College or the next stage of education and life?

The College has effective procedures in place to ensure a smooth transition between secondary and College. Open Days are also available for students to familiarize themselves with support and provision available. Upon enrolment, students are asked to complete a detailed enrolment form which details identified and/or perceived needs, following which parents/ carers will also be asked to provide information. In some cases it may be possible for the SENDCo to arrange a private tour of the College for a student with SEND and their parents/carers to ease transition. An induction evening in the first half term of Lower Sixth provides a further opportunity for all parents/ carers to meet teaching staff, including form tutors. The SENDCo may attend review meetings at feeder secondary school to enable effective handover of relevant information.

When a student leaves Connell and continues in education, employment or training, all relevant information will be passed on to the new provider including details about any provision for SEND and information about examination Access Arrangements.

What Safeguarding does the college have in place?

We have a designated safeguarding team who are committed to ensuring the well-being of all our students. Our Designated Safeguarding Lead is Ali Grady. If you are worried about the well-being of your child or another student, please feel free to email Ali at: or call the college on: 0161 231 9200 and report your concern.

Looked After Children and recently Looked After Children also come under this remit. If you wish to speak to us about a Looked After Child, you can contact Ali Grady via or call college on 0161 231 9200 and report your concern.

Who can I contact for further information?

The first point of contact for any queries regarding a student at the College would be the SENDCo. Please call 0161 231 9200 and ask to speak to Rhian.

What other support is available?

Find out more about Manchester’s local offer which is available for young people with SEND. Alternatively, contact Manchester’s Information, Advice and Support (IAS) service as follows: Address: Westwood Street, Moss Side, Manchester, M14 4PH.
Telephone: 0161 209 8356

Do you want to know more about how we support young people with additional needs?
Call us CALL 0161 231 9200
Our SENDCo will be more than happy to discuss any additional needs that are required.
0161 231 9200